A Canadian immigration client wrote to me this morning to ask about a name change for her children prior to arriving in Canada with the immigrant visas. It is important to realize that the name that appears in one’s passport is the name that will appear on the Canadian permanent resident card. Unless one also changes a name in the passport prior to landing, the name change will have no effect on the name as it appears on the Canadian permanent resident card. No matter how the name appears on the permanent resident card; however, one can always apply to amend the permanent resident card supplying the necessary proof of name change documents.

Immigrating to Canada? Visit www.akcanada.com for more information or a free assessment.