Extend or Change the Condition on Work Permit

About the process

If you have a work permit that is about to expire or a work permit that you need to change, you must apply at least 30 days before your current permit expires.

Maintain your status

If you apply to extend or change the conditions of your work permit before it expires, you are legally allowed to stay in Canada while Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) process your application. If your work permit expires while IRCC process your application, you can legally stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application. If your permit expires before you apply you may be able to apply to restore your status as a worker.

Date and time of your application

To maintain your status, IRCC must receive your application before your work permit expires. IRCC determines the date and time an application is received in 2 ways:
  1. If you apply online: You must submit your application before midnight UTC on the day your work permit expires.
    • IRCC’s online application system uses coordinated universal time (UTC). (Make sure you know the difference between your local time and UTC.)
  2. If you apply on paper: IRCC stamps paper applications the day they receive them at the case processing centre.
    • If IRCC receives an application after your work permit expires, they will count back 7 days and use that as the date received.

Check the expiry date on your passport

You cannot extend your work permit beyond the expiry date of your passport. Make sure your passport will not expire before the requested end date of your permit.

If you don’t have a work permit

If you want to work in Canada temporarily, contact us to find out what you need to do.


If you want to stay in Canada permanently

You must qualify under one of the permanent resident categories.


Need assistance?

The immigration lawyers at Abrams and Krochak have helped thousands of immigrants come to Canada and we can help you extend your work permit or change the conditions of your permit. Contact us today by completing the form below to get started.

Complete this form if you are interested in extending or changing your Work Permit

"*" indicates required fields

MM slash DD slash YYYY
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.