A Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada may sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner for immigration to Canada. After determining that the sponsor is eligible to sponsor, by examining the sponsor’s status in Canada, and his/her income, a Canadian immigration visa officer must evaluate whether the relationship is genuine. One of the best ways to determine this is if the couple who are considering immigration to Canada has conceived a child together. Recently, a client was asked to provide the Statement of Live Birth for the couple’s child that was born in Canada as evidence of the couple’s relationship. Any government document that confirms the names of both parents of the child should be tendered as evidence to establish that the relationship is in fact genuine.

Immigrating to Canada? Visit www.akcanada.com for more information or a free assessment.